Sunday, August 17, 2014

Maze by Gordon Ramsay in London, England

Maze by Gordon Ramsay, London -  August 2014

It's always good to know the deals in London, and I was updated by lastminute.com that Maze has a 4 course plus Bellini going for 30 pounds. It sounds like an amazing deal. So I decided to go for it. The menu was basically either savoury or sweet, whereby you get to choose any 4. They recommend 3 savoury and 1 sweet, but you can be daring and fatty like Nick who just chose 4 savoury. At the end, they gave us a lovely surprise as well.. :)



Small snacks as we are choosing our menu - Lotus chips
Nick and our Bellini


Savoury:
Beef Tataki, smoked ponzu, pickled mouli, shiso
Beef Tataki, smoked ponzu, pickled mouli, shiso
Steamed sea bream, enoki mushroom, dashi
Chargrilled octopus, Szechuan pepper, tomatoes, yoghurt, rocket mayonnaise
Chargrilled octopus, Szechuan pepper, tomatoes, yoghurt, rocket mayonnaise
Braised pork Ossobuco, apple and chilli puree, chargrilled pak choi
Duck leg, wild mushroom,peas, broad beans

Sweet:
Frozen yoghurt, English strawberries, cucumber and balsamic
Frozen yoghurt, English strawberries, cucumber and balsamic
Petite fours
Out from the entire menu, I really love the chargrilled octopus. The chargrilled octopus was my favourite. The texture of the octopus was something I never had before. It was soft and chewy, but not rubbery. Together with that slight burnt taste, it was simply delish. I think it takes a lot of skill to reach to suck soft texture and chewy yet not rubbery chewy kind of texture. I wasn't too amazed by the duck as it was a little too sticky and salty for me? The beef tataki wasn't too bad, but I've tasted better. The dessert though, the frozen yoghurt was really good. I thought the cucumbers were a little weird, but it blended really well together.

We finished our meal and called for the bill, and the waitress/manager was so nice. She offered us a tour to the kitchen! I have never seen the inside of the kitchen before, where all these lovely food was done. We even had a picture with the chef! Plus I finally got to see what the chef's table is like. I definitely would want to dine at the chef's table one day. ONE DAY! 

Chefs doing their thing at the dessert sation
Picture with the chef! 
The hot food section
Overall, I think the ambiance of the restaurant is really good. The food was above average, definitely. But the service was fantastic. Or maybe I'm a little too excited and hyped about the kitchen tour. But I really loved the atmosphere of the restaurant as well. I will most definitely come back here to dine again and try more of their menu. It was very worth the 35 pounds (including service charge).

No comments:

Post a Comment